Wednesday, January 20, 2010

He's Really That Good.

He saved his parking spot for me. We decided we'd be doing laundry. A laundry date. I decided not to go out and party and join him instead, for our laundry date. It would have been easy to cancel. I didn't.

He carried my things to the laundry room and stood around as I loaded the machines. We went to his room and played scrabble, talked about relationships, checked our facebook accounts, listened to great music, we checked on my clothes and again, stood around as I folded everything in neat little piles. He offered me a beer and snacks, he made a mix cd for me to take home and when all the laundry was done with, he put everything in my car and bid me goodbye with a hug and a smile. Simple. Easy.

It's easy to say I Love You. It's easy to be myself around him. Everything is easy.

We're best friends, there's nothing romantic, there's no physical attraction, we're real buddies sharing real moments of blunt simplicity. There's nothing to hide, nothing to be apprehensive about, nothing to hold back.

And I wonder: If we were in fact attracted to each other, if we were romantically inclined, would it be this easy?



*Currently listening to Night on the Sun by Modest Mouse*

2 comments:

  1. I was speaking with your sister about relationships yesterday. For some reason a relationship feels like such an obligation - You have to tell that person where you are, who your with, what your doing and answerers must be given or it seems as though you might be hiding something. With a friendship you owe that person nothing. You don't have an obligation to call him/her everyday with details. If you don't answer your phone it's usually not a big deal -you'll pick up tomorrow and make plans for another day. For some reson, in my opinion, once you put the title of "BF/GF" to that special someone it seems to always go down hill. After the honeymoon phase of course. Its strange to me how I can feel such a way, but still long for someone to love me still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... I feel that too. I know I have you and I know there's so much goodness around me. But sometimes I would like the little extra icing...

    ReplyDelete

Say what you may here...