Thursday, July 9, 2009

Royal Understanding

Ethel: 'How long have you been a smoker?'
Margot: '22 years.'
Ethel: 'Well, I think you should quit.'

At first glance it was nothing. I mean, the first time I watched The Royal Tenenbaums. I watched it again last night and it was very different. A second look into things can give you a different perspective.

To begin with, the cast in this film is superb. I also understand now why when I first saw this movie I didn't think much of it: I didn't 'get' it. I didn't understand that type of humor. I didn't understand the underlying theme. A lack of functionality worked for them. It worked, even through pain and what was lost: The possibility of well-rounded success. I didn't enjoy it then because I didn't understand how disillusion could be portrayed with humor. Back then, it just didn't click.
The characters are so well defined and unique. It's a brilliant film. I was blown away.

I'm so happy I watched it again.

And like with other first impressions, I have realized that sometimes taking a second look at things is a good time spent. Even if what you discovered is crap. At least you'll know what it really is.

*Currently listening to Don't Be Shy, The Libertines*

1 comment:

  1. My favorite scene (apart from Margot) is when the manservant stabs Royal and says something like "you son of a bitch"... then. He helps him into a cab... lol

    ReplyDelete

Say what you may here...