Friday, June 18, 2010

Don't Stop. Don't Smell The Flowers.

You expect to get flowers from your boyfriend because he loves you and he just wants to remind you that he cares and he's thinking of you. That's sweet.

I have received flowers from him twice. Both times because he did something wrong.

My father used to do that. He'd leave on a Friday night, come back home on a Tuesday, smelling of other women but always with a present for my mother. Diamonds, coats, electronics, once a car. She'd act undignified and argue with him, a couple of hours later he'd sing her a pretty song and make her laugh, the day would end with us all at the dinner table, pretending to be a happy family, laughing, sharing our time and love with each other. Everything would be fine until he'd do it again. They were married for 16 years and towards the end, I didn't understand why she'd accept it... 'Love makes you do crazy things', she'd say.

I don't want to be in love with him any more.

I have discovered anger in my heart towards him for the very first time today. Hurray, I'll take that for now.

*Currently listening to Meaningless Love by Under The Influence of Giants*

8 comments:

  1. Dude, you cant be bought with flowers, you returned the coffeemaker, tear those flowers up and stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't sound like he is trying to 'buy you' I buy flowers for my wife when I mess up and occasion on our anniversary. I do it when I faulter to show her "yes, I did mess up but you are what I think of, all the time." It's more of sign of affection more than an apology. After reading your blog for sometime now it seems like he brings out the best and worse in you. In saying that, it sounds like you should try to stop and smell the flowers once in a while, even if he made mistakes. Afterall, "no one is perfect". Keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. But not everyone can keep the faith alive for so long. I lost my faith in him. I just realized that I kind of lost faith in myself too. Quite sad.

    Thank you though, you're too kind. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its weird, you know. I was just thinking about flowers today. I had to take my mom to the doctor for a colonoscopy.

    And so, like. I'm in the post op room and the doctor comes up and says. "Ok, so I've got the pictures, would you like to see them?"

    And I'm.. "Is this necessary. Really?"
    And he said. "Yes, there is something I want you to see"

    So He showed me the pictures of the inside of my mom's colon and I was ... well..

    umm... yeah. I was thinking about flowers
    today. I really like flowers.


    No son should ever have to see the inside
    of his mom's colon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey now that we have my mom's colon out of the way, seriously. you gotta see 'sex drive' . its f-kin hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. A good relationship has ups and downs. It's how you deal with them that counts. It's ok to be angry at someone. And to be sad for them. Happy with them. The range of emotion should be there, because that's what being human is all about. Where you want to focus is whatever you can do about whatever wrong was done. If he did it, then its simple. He owes you. Just keep it in mind. Don't pretent the score is settled until it really is.\

    ReplyDelete

Say what you may here...